Saturday 13 February 2010

Get on that First Train Home


A review of Imogen Heap’s concert at Bristol 02 Arena on Thursday 11th February 2010

Incredible. Just incredible.

Anyone who has heard the haunting melody of Hide and Seek would be first in the queue to see Imogen Heap live and boy is it worth it.

The support acts were Back Ted n-Ted and Tim Exile, both solo artist who, like Imogen, use loop stations, computer effects and beat boxing to create their music. I could never forget the first time I saw this as a way of creating music, it was a performance by Dub FX who, to me, is the king of the loop station and most others are mere imitations. However, these support acts did put their own spin on the method and created some thoroughly enjoyable music.

The best part of the support acts, however, was the fact that they were both introduced by Imogen herself and performed with her. This was just one of the many signs of her down-to-earth attitude which made her charmingly approachable and likeable. This also added a much more personal element which I feel has been lacking from many concerts that I have attended.

The whole concert was entertaining and more upbeat than I had expected, especially with my new favourite tune Bad Body Double but the highlight of the concert for me was the encore. It started with Hide and Seek which went wrong due to a reverb malfunction. Imogen was unfazed, ready to move onto the next song and then easily got the problem fixed and gave the most divine performance of the song and I defy anyone who can listen to that with a dry eye.

She then took audience participation to a new level. She split the audience into three, each singing the words ‘Just for now’ creating the backing track for her to sing above. I have never been to a gig where the audience have song so well in tune and the atmosphere from Hide and Seek to the end of Just for Now was just electrifying. This was a shiver through the spine moment if ever I had one,

I would have liked to hear Glittering Clouds which is one of my favourite Imogen Heap songs. I also think that knowing the songs inside out would make the whole experience even more enjoyable. But for a surface fan of her music, I found the concert refreshing, moving and completely emotional.

Imogen Heap is playing at Gateshead and Bournemouth on the 15th and 17th February respectively. All other UK concerts have sold out.

Her latest album, Ellipse is out now and available on Spotify.

No comments:

Post a Comment