Wednesday 24 February 2010

Lucifer is a Woman!


A review of Abducting Diane at The Rondo Theatre, Bath on Wednesday 24 February 2010.

How on earth can I review a play that I cannot compare with anything I have ever seen? A challenge I am sure, but one that I will face nevertheless.

Having never seen a Dario Fo play I was perhaps unprepared for the mayhem that would ensue on stage, but I certainly think that the element of surprise is one of the best features of this production.

The abundance of props seemed like it would be a minefield for the cast but they skilfully navigated their way around the ropes, ice cream and fire extinguishers to great effect. There was bondage in abundance and madness en mass as Diane (played by Mirella Luciani) was kidnapped by three crooks, (played by Tony Blair, Gordon Brown and John Prescott).

This political satire has been carefully adapted to resonate with current affairs and the masks of the kidnappers were simply perfect. I thought it was wonderful that you could also see the actors faces behind the masks when they turned to the side and the mask of Gordon Brown looked so glum that it could have been cut out of this week newspapers.

To say too much about what happens in this play would ruin it for anyone who goes to see it. So I will say only this – you must go, you must enjoy and you must appreciate the wonder of a little old lady with milk bottle glasses on her nose, slippers on her feet and a rifle in her hand.

Abducting Diane is on at the Rondo Theatre from Wednesday 24th February 2010 to Saturday 27th February 2010, starting at 7.30pm

No comments:

Post a Comment